Thursday 12 May 2005

Dry Land

I'm back on dry land again, this time Dublin. Have I had a chance to digest what I experienced in Kalamazoo? Probably not. But it was great fun and I am very glad I went. It is quite something to see so many medievalists in one place, like a kind of critical mass. I spent some time with my friends Myra, Mary and Eileen, and met some other familiar faces from TCD.

I've just picked up copies of Gianni Vattimo, Beyond Interpretation, and am very much looking forward to it. Has anyone read it? I've also started to read Michel de Certeau's The Practice of Everyday Life, which was recommended to me by my friend Eileen, who is frightfully clever (I mean really), but of course...crazy. I've just read the introduction and I'm a little dizzy. I'll order my own copies from Amazon I think.

I have also received news that I shall be attending a seminar cycle at the Istituto di Studi Umanistici at the Universtia' di Firenze for six weeks from the middle of June. The seminar is on textual criticism of medieval texts and I cannot wait.

Now I am off to Peter Hawkins give a lecture at the Centre for Medieval and Renaissance Studies (Trinity College, Dublin) on Dante, called 'The Art of Smiling'. I shall report back.

Anyone else at Kalamazoo like to post a comment?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...