Wednesday 4 May 2005

Uncle Travelling Matt


Uncle Travelling Matt
Originally uploaded by Miglior Acque.



I'm off to the "Zoo" as we call it: Kalamazoo, Michigan tomorrow morning. This year is the 40th International Medieval Congress and there are going to be lots of people there including some people I know... There's a dance on Saturday night and I've been told it's like seeing your bibliography on the dancefloor. I'm rather looking forward to seeing how much of my bibliography is still alive. I hope I don't say that to them. For those of you who are interested I'm giving a paper on Boccaccio's Teseida and its commentary context. I'm looking at how these glosses betray a tension between humanist and medieval or 'scholastic' tendencies in his work.
Uncle Travelling Matt is from Fraggle Rock: he went to see how these alien humans behaved so strangely and sent postcards back to keep the other Fraggles updated. That's how I feel now.

I fly to Dublin and then Chicago. I do this because Halifax treat international students like international money launderers (I can vote here but not have a 'student account') - and British Airways don't take the Visa Electron debit card. I don't know which of them is more incompetent. Anyway I get to see Chicago for a night because at the last minute my friend Betsy got sick and cannot give me a lift to K'zoo. Now I have to stay downtown for the night and get the train the next morning.
I'm still packing. I should go.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...